A study conducted in New York City regarding gender-pain bias shows that women suffer lower back pain more often than men due to pelvic structure, hormonal factors and the impact of pregnancy.
However, not only adults experience this discomfort but kids as well, especially those who are in school. Carrying heavy backpacks or pulling a big trolley filled with notebooks, books, writing and art tools every day is one of the many causes of lower back pain and shoulder pain for children.
See if your child complains of back or shoulder pain accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Weight loss
- Trouble walking properly
- Pain radiating in one or both legs
- Bladder problems
- Bowel problems
If your child exhibits one or more of the symptoms mentioned above along with lower back or shoulder pain, it is best to see a chiropractor as soon as possible. However, do not just see anyone who offers chiropractic treatment, but find a chiropractor in the NYC area that can do a top-to-toe service:
- Consultation, not just once but routinely for proper monitoring from diagnosis to prognosis
- Diagnostic, where patients undergo comprehensive functional assessment
- Program Design, creating a personalized plan of treatment for each patient
- Patient Experience, getting the best overall treatment
The chiropractor may do the best treatment for your child, but you as a parent need to participate in the process and contribute your best effort and time to help your child cope with the discomfort. Knowing what causes these pains is your top responsibility.
A few of the physical causes are:
- Your child may have poor body posture like slumping or slouching while sitting or standing
- If he plays sports, which puts excessive strain on muscles, too much pressure on the ligaments or causes injury to the spine
- Getting hit hard or sustaining a severe back injury, or falling on the back
- Lifting heavy objects which can cause disc dislocation
- Staying in the same position or leading a sedentary lifestyle like watching TV or sitting in front of a computer for long hours
- Sprains or strains due to tripping
- Sports that may require intensive training like long hours of running, flexing and kicking
You also need to know about the possible underlying medical reasons for these back discomforts:
A spinal tumor is a growth which develops inside the bones and discs of the spine or near the spinal cord, which can be either malignant or benign, and may cause disability.
An infection of the vertebral body in the spine.
A dislocation or fracture of a vertebra which can cause bone fragments to damage the nerves in the spine. Gunshots, sports and car accidents are the causes.
The vertebra slips at the base of the spine.
Degeneration of intervertebral discs
You should never neglect your child’s complaints about back pain as this may lead to more serious conditions if left untreated..