I know quite a few people in my family who deal with IBS. When looking to manage IBS making healthy diet decisions isn’t an option…it’s a necessity and it can be difficult, especially around the holidays! In addition to finding the right probiotic to help with the dietary management of IBS, the trick is to know which ingredients trigger IBS symptoms, eliminate them, and prepare foods that will still please everyone’s palate.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a serious GI issue that affects the large intestine (colon) and commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation; there is no cure or known cause for IBS.
About 75% of IBS sufferers get relief from symptoms with a low-FODMAP diet and up to 20% of U.S. adults have IBS symptoms. More women than men are diagnosed with IBS but many never seek medical help for it. IBS symptoms first appear before the age of 35 for about half of IBS sufferers and are often diagnosed between the ages of 30 and 50.
Did you know that following a low-FODMAP diet can really help the symptoms of IBS? And the entire family can enjoy the foods/recipes. There are books like Patsy Catsos’ Flavor without FODMAPs Cook Book. Get a cookbook that is focused on your low-FODMAP diet, with recipes you don’t even have to think about. If you are using the FODMAP approach to manage your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), this cookbook is the one! You can enjoy the recipes in this collection with no modification, no regrets and no apologies, whether you are feeding the family or entertaining.
VSL#3 also offers awesome recipes too. You can print right from the website and create your own cookbook too. I wanted to find a great Hot Cocoa for Thanksgiving everyone would like and I really liked the Italian Style Hot Cocoa.
You can also take a probiotic like VSL#3.
- VSL#3 is a high-potency probiotic medical food that is clinically proven in the dietary management of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ulcerative colitis (UC) and ileal pouch.
- VSL#3 is a proprietary formulation of a mix of 8 strains of live lactic acid bacteria, making it one of the few probiotics with this many strains
- VSL#3 products must be refrigerated to maintain potency, are gluten-free, Kosher and Halal certified.
Why should you look into a Probiotic designed for IBS? According to a Harris Poll* conducted on behalf of VSL#3, the following was found amongst 607 U.S. adults ages 18+ who have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ulcerative colitis (UC) or ileal pouch:
- Nearly half of IBS, UC, ileal pouch sufferers (46%) believe all probiotics are pretty much the same.
- Roughly 2 in 5 IBS, UC, ileal pouch sufferers (41%) don’t understand which strain of probiotics is best to help treat their symptoms.
- Nearly half of IBS, UC, ileal pouch sufferers (49%) are not at all knowledgeable about the differences between a “medical food” and a “dietary supplement.”
- While many people are familiar with the general term “probiotics,” most do not understand the importance of knowing which specific strain of organism should be used for which specific disease or condition
*Harris Poll conducted the GI Issues Survey on behalf of VSL#3. The survey was administered online within the United States between April 1 – 7, 2015 among 607 adult’s ages 18+ who have been diagnosed with a digestive or gastrointestinal condition, irritable bowel syndrome, or ulcerative colitis, ileal pouch (“sufferers”).
For more information on VSL#3 please visit www.vsl3.com and use the code “DOCTOR” at checkout for $5 off your next purchase.
Be sure to also enter the IBS-Friendly Feast Giveaway today for a chance to be the Grand Prize winner to receive a cooking class for two at your local William Sonoma or Sur la Table stores and custom IBS-friendly recipes from VSL#3. Five runners-up winners will also receive a one-month supply of the VSL#3 product. Enter before 11/25 at 12 p.m. ET!
Join VSL#3 on Facebook for giveaways and exclusive offers and check out their series of videos packed with helpful info about IBS & UC on YouTube. You can find more delicious IBS-friendly recipes at www.vsl3.com.
“This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation that contains affiliate links. All opinions, text and experiences are my own. VSL#3 is a high-potency probiotic medical food for the dietary management of IBS, UC and ileal pouch and must be used under medical supervision. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. The product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”