Shelby is five days old now. Wow… 5 days have just flown by in a blink of an eye. These five days have been amazing yet bittersweet and so emotional all at the same time.
I absolutely loved being pregnant. Well after morning sickness went away and I started feeling her move inside me I was in love. I was in love with her the moment I found out I was pregnant (June 13th to be exact). It didn’t matter to me if we had another baby girl or a boy. We were given the chance to become parents to another sweet angel and I was so excited for the journey.
Right away I knew I wanted a midwife. I knew the one I wanted to use and the birth center I wanted to have the baby at. In fact it was the same midwife and birth center I learned about eight years ago and always said I would use.
We had our first appointment at 6 weeks and I saw my midwife every 2 or 3 weeks. She saw me a lot to ease to my fears, and I adored the entire staff. At each appointment we would talk about things I wanted to happen or didn’t want for our birth. I was so excited to have a water birth, and to get a birth experience the way I wanted. We even put the deposit down for the birthing tub.
For nine months I envisioned the perfect birth with just my husband and midwife and her CNA Ashley. I pictured laboring in the pool and listening to music, laughing with everyone and welcoming our daughter into the world with open arms. And the fact that we would get to go home hours after birth was something I was really excited for!
As I got closer to my due date the fear of not going into labor started to sink in, but I knew my body could do it and that it wouldn’t fail me, it wouldn’t keep me from laboring on my own and denying me my water birth.
I was wrong. 41 weeks came and baby was still so high she just wouldn’t engage. I had over a week of prodomal labor that didn’t change my cervix much. And a super high level of amniotic fluid, which is another reason baby wouldn’t engage. Ultrasound also showed that baby was at least 8.5 pounds.
So it was my choice to either do induction or wait it out. The thought of waiting another week to see IF my body went into labor on it’s own and chance the baby getting even bigger and still needing an induction or doing an induction the next day (Friday March 2nd) was not something I felt very comfortable with.
…… We arrived at the hospital on March 2nd at 8:30am for induction.