Gingerbread Cookies they are a must have cookie for the Holidays! But my problem is no matter what Recipe I have tried they always end up hard and crispy. I hate hard Gingerbread Cookies. After many different recipes I found one I just LOVE!
Gingerbread Cookies taste the best when they are made by scratch and homemade. The smell of the ginger, cinnamon, gloves and molasses all mixed together smells ..well like Christmas!
Growing up we decorated our Gingerbread men and women simply and I love carrying that same tradition with using Chocolate Chips. Simple, easy and they look so darn cute!
Gingerbread Cookies are also one of those cookies that the kids LOVE to help make. With so many different ingredients and measurements it is a great math lesson for older kids, and then rolling the dough and using the cookie cutters is fun for everyone!
This Recipe (when followed correctly) makes awesome Gingerbread Cookies. They come out soft and moist and taste wonderful!
|Easy Gingerbread Cookies Recipe||
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.