Ever since I was little I grew up helping my Aunt make Coconut Candy Balls. This year I did the recipe slightly different and they came out perfect! It has been a tradition to make them every year and my kids love them!
I used to just wing it with the recipe but now I stick to simple recipe that can easily be changed. One year I added a little Vanilla, but this year I didn’t. You can also add walnuts to the coconut mixture but I usually don’t.
After you use a mixer (trust me, you want to use a stand or hand mixer for these as it can hurt your wrist trying to stir the condensed milk and coconut flakes together. You will want roll the candy into small balls and then place them in the fridge to harden up before dipping them. If they are cold then once you dip them in the chocolate they are less likely to fall apart.
When melting your chocolate your going to want to do it in a double boiler. It doesn’t really matter what pots or stock pots you use.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 can Eagle Brand milk
- 14 oz. flake coconut
- 2 (1 lb.) boxes powdered sugar
- 1 16 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if you want
- • In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in milk, then remove from heat. Stir in coconut and nuts. Add sugar, mixing well. Form mixture into small balls.
- •Place a toothpick into the center of each ball. Put balls into refrigerator to chill for about one hour.
- •Melt coconut oil and chocolate in top of double boiler. Dip each ball in hot chocolate. Place on wax paper covered cookie sheet until cool. Remove toothpicks.