When coming up with ideas for Shelby’s First Birthday I wanted to include all kinds of fun rainbow foods. But since we were having it at a pizza place I knew I was going to have to keep it simple.
I instantly fell in love with the idea of Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies! And the girls had fun helping me!
When I divided the dough, I placed it into Ziploc bags so that when I needed to kneed the dough adn food coloring I wouldn’t get it on my hands.
Below is a really easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.
- 2 ½ Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup shortening (I used butter-flavored Crisco)
- ¾ Cup sugar
- ¾ Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Gel food coloring
- 1 Cup mini milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- In a seperate bowl beat the shortening and sugars until combined and creamy.
- Add the eggs and extract into the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal sections and add gel food coloring for each section. Knead the color into the dough. add coloring as needed
- Fold in chocolate chips (about 1 Tablespoon to each section).
- place 2 inch cookie dough ball on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
- I placed the dough into Ziploc bags so I could knead the dough and food coloring without getting it on my hands.